Sunday, December 23, 2018

Surprise! Chrome Canvas: Google's newest drawing tool

Google has very quietly slipped out a new web-based tool called Chrome Canvas! I came across this by accident and I've struggled to find much info about it, but it looks VERY promising! Are you like me and have wished Drawing or Slides had the ability to free-hand with a stylus/finger on a touchscreen or tablet? This just might be the answer!!


I'm super excited about this because as much as I 💖 Google Drawings & Google Slides, they do not allow for much 'free-hand'. As a bonus ... Chrome Canvas connects to your Google account, so anything you create will be saved, as well as accessible across devices. You can also export your drawing as a PNG file.

How Can You Use Canvas?

  • use on touchscreen devices to allow teachers & students the ability to free-hand notes - hello, sketchnotes!
  • save directly to your Google account. 
  • export canvas' to allow students to submit to their teachers via Google Classroom or other LMS
  • teachers can take groups of canvas' and create class collections of notes/ideas
  • annotate on top of an image (yep! - you can upload an image and use the drawing tools on top of the image)
I will be 100% honest ... I tried it out on both the Chrome & Safari browser tonight on both my iPhone & iPad, but Chrome Canvas didn't load on either. I was successful on my laptop and found using the trackpad quite easy. You can be sure I will check back tomorrow to see if it works!

This just might be the dream-come-true for all who have been asking for a freehand tool to draw and integrate with Google! 

Here is a quick video as I use each of the tools:


Articles with additional info:

No comments:

Post a Comment