Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Video Writing Prompts by John Spencer

AUDIENCE ↬ students & teachers
CONTENT ↬ short videos giving descriptive & imaginative ready-to-go writing prompts

GRADE LEVELS  depends on the video (could work for any/all, but please be selective by watching the videos first)

I've been a big fan of John Spencer for awhile now - his blog, his podcast "The Creative Classroom", and his books. When I heard about Video Writing Prompts, I was thrilled! I watched several of them & I had classroom envy ... I don't have my own class any more, but I would have LOVED to have had these when I taught 5th grade ELA! These videos are short (I think the longest one is still less than 3 minutes) and easy to watch.

John has set up an entire website for this creative project. You not only get the videos, he provides reasoning, how to use these writing prompts, AND, in his FAQ's, he explains how he creates them!

Currently, he has 9 genres of writing prompts. NINE. Genres. You can also find them on his Video Writing Prompts YouTube Channel (LINK). But don't worry, he is so thorough, he also provides instructions and the ability to download the videos for use in schools where YouTube is restricted.

Interested? I'd like to highlight a couple of my favorites:

  • Tell the Story of Superman's Brother
  • Should College Athletes Get Paid?
  • Design a City in the Sky
  • Maker Challenge: Design the Ultimate Roller Coaster

Honestly, is there anything he HASN'T thought of? Oh wait, he shares his email address if you'd like to submit a potential idea for a writing prompt. 

Have a question or comment? Feel free to comment below, reach out to me on Twitter @kiefersj, or email me at sarah@techyoucando.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment