Wednesday, May 1, 2019

PhET: Interactive Simulations (for math & science)

WEBSITE  https://phet.colorado.edu/
AUDIENCE ↬ teachers & students
CONTENT ↬ math and science

GRADE LEVELS  ALL

I have recently seen this website shared on Twitter by @dailySTEM and it caught my eye! He shared how a young child was learning while working with one of the simulations.  I had to check it out because I was intrigued! Going to their website, I found the University of Colorado Boulder created this site and it looks like a great resource to see simulations where students can adjust variables to see how they impact the experiment/activity. 

Math and science aren't my area of expertise. I will admit seeing how adjusting the angle and track of a little skateboarder impacts how far she goes was interesting to me.  If I seen science like this, maybe I'd have had more interest? And can I say I was pleasantly surprised to see there are numerous simulations, too? You can search by topic (Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Earth Science, Math) OR Grade Level, OR Device. 

Added bonus: I was checking out a simulation, and what did I spy on the far right??? 
 A link to share to a Google Classroom!!!!! Yes!!!!! (As well as to share via Facebook, Twitter, & Pinterest) 

If you teach math or science ... you simply have to check it out! Can't wait to hear feedback on simulations you and your students try out.

2 comments: