Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Semantris: A Word Association Game

WEBSITE  https://research.google.com/semantris
AUDIENCE ↬ teachers & students
CONTENT ↬ ELA

GRADE LEVELS  2nd grade and up

Oooo boy! This one is GOOD! Remember the game Tetris? I loved that game when I was a kid ... my family didn't have one, but my cousin did and when I got to play it, I had such fun! Maybe because it was the only "video game" I was allowed to play? No ... it was FUN!

I heard about this game on the Shukes & Giff podcast, Season 2, Episode 11. Jen Giffin was sharing this and warned that it is addictive ... so of course I HAD to check it out ... and she wasn't wrong! Addictive and challenging and fun all wrapped into one!

Now, it's not just a game. It's a strategic word association game that challenges the player to come up with words related to the ones on the screen. The better you make your association, the easier it is for Google's AI (artificial intelligence) to match to the block. The more blocks you can remove the better your score.


Can/should students play this? Sure! I have shared this with numerous adults but also with a class of 4th graders. We played one round together - scored 2400 - and then they paired up or played on their own. It was awesome! They were working together and really working hard to beat our class score and some did! I think the highest score in the 30 minutes we played was 4000! Wow! Looking to build vocabulary? Spelling can also be practiced in a non-traditional way, too, if you think about it. If Google's AI doesn't understand what you type, it may not be able to identify a block to remove.

Don't hesitate ... try this out! How high can you score?


6 comments:

  1. This is a ton of fun! thank you Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - My grade 8's really got a lot of this game

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SO excited about these 2 games!! I just posted them to all my classes in Google Classroom...this week is "training week." Hehee! Next week...the competitions begin (our 1st official day of online lessons is the 27th)! Do you know of any more like this? (I teach HS English 10 & ESL, 9th-11th grade.) Thank you so much!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found this! It really is a LOT of fun! I don't know of others exactly like this ... but I'm sure you could do something - with a bit more work - with Quizlet? You'd have to create the decks, but students could study individually, OR you could organize a virtual Quizlet Live session with students? That might be fun!

      Delete