Monday, June 1, 2020

#PodPeeks Innovator's Mindset - George Couros & Dr. Jody Carrington

PODCAST (ListenWise) link ↬ link to listen - (I listen via the podcast app on my phone)
AUDIENCE ↬ educators & administrators
CONTENT SEL, mental health, future of eduction, solid philosophy

GRADE LEVELS  all grades 

I make no secret of the fact that I LOVE listening to podcasts. I listened to this one on my morning walk. I will admit, at first I wasn't super excited, but I thoroughly love listening to George Couros. Then as he & Dr. Jody Carrington got to talking, I became captivated. Dr. Carrington is a child psychologist and loves working with the "toughest" of our kids. (She's someone I think I'd love to have on speed-dial!)

Both George & Jody said so many wonderful things - PLEASE take the time to listen to this podcast or watch the YouTube video. If I could shout from the rooftops to listen to this, I would. Ours kids deserve it.

I won't spoil the episode for you, but there were a couple of things they said that really made an impact on me.

1 - Jody said she has this quote nearby - "Leaders must either invest a reasonable amount of time attending to the fears and feelings, or squander an unreasonable amount of time trying to manage ineffective and unproductive behaviors." ~ Brene Brown

*** Spend a minute unpacking that quote ... I've spent nearly ALL day contemplating it!

2 - All behavior has meaning. 

*** Yes! Yes, it does!

3 - George said, "School is about ensuring that every kid has the opportunity to be successful in a way that is meaningful to them." (He also noted that we often define what success is for others.)

*** Yes! Let's contemplate the purpose of school.

I now have 2 more books to go on my "Books" Wakelet ... "Kids These Days" & the soon to be released, "Teachers These Days". 

Goodness. Looks like I have a busy summer ahead! 

No comments:

Post a Comment