Thursday, November 14, 2019

Google Sheets Two-fer

WEBSITE  sheets.new 
AUDIENCE ↬ teachers; older students
CONTENT any/all

GRADE LEVELS  grades 3 & up
*** I only say this is for older students because I feel younger students still need to focus on building their basic skills. These are quick actions to assist. But if you think it is applicable, please use it! ***

I love when my GPS gives me an alternate route to shave a few minutes off my travels. I love a good keyboard shortcut to shave time off time when I am working on my computer. So when Google put out the ".new" ability, I did my happy dance!

This shortcut will allow you to quickly create a new Doc, Sheet, Slide, Form, or even a new Google Site, type the name of the application you want, add ".new", and click enter. VOILA!!!! You don't need to open your Drive. 

Try it. It doesn't disappoint. There is only one drawback ... it now is just a file sitting on the main part of your Drive. 




WEBSITE  any already existing Google Sheet 
AUDIENCE ↬ teachers; older students
CONTENT ↬ any/all

GRADE LEVELS  grades 3 & up

I'm a big believer in version history in all of the Google Apps. I have that tucked firmly in my teacher "bag o'tricks" and I share it freely with all teachers. I taught 7th & 8th grade for several years and this was HANDY. If you can believe it, I had some students who wouldn't be truthful about their work! 🤣

Sheets revision history is a bit more complicated than Docs or Slides. In the past few months, Sheets has gotten an upgrade and you can now click on any SINGLE cell and discover it's specific history & WHO changed it. I received a phone call from a colleague who wanted to know who changed a cell in a Sheet. I opened the Sheet, right-clicked on the cell, and the version history of that one single cell appeared before me. Funny part - it was the colleague asking who had made the change 🤣! I could even tell them exactly when the change was made. Incredibly helpful!!!




⭐Bonus --> Check out my Sheets Wakelet Collection, too!



No comments:

Post a Comment